Sixty-seven members of the Ghana Football Association have made amendments to 10 articles in the regulations of the football governing body.
54 members of the Ghana FA petitioned the football regulatory to activate Article 33 (3) by organising an extraordinary to amend portions of the 2019 GFA statutes that they hold the view that they don’t represent the interest of football in the country.
Some of the notable members who attended include; Asante Kotoko, Aduana Stars, Bechem United, Berekum Chelsea, Accra Lions, Medeama SC, Susubiribi Sporting Club, Tema Youth, B/A United, etc.
The General Secretary Ghana FA failed to respond to the petition within the stipulated period per the statutes of the association.
In a later date response, dated September 10, 2021, which was later corrected to December 10, 2021, the GFA insisted some members who signed the original petition had withdrawn their signatures.
But, the members went ahead to organise the congress in Kumasi on Tuesday, December 21, 2021.
Below are some of the key amendments they made to the statutes.
- Article 81 (6) – Article 81 talks about transitional provisions. However, 81 (6) states that; The number of delegates representing the Division One League shall be reduced to 18 (down from the current 48) at the latest by the end of the second football season following the adoption of these Statutes. That clause has been totally struck out. So all 48 Division One League clubs shall retain their status as congress members.
- 39 Powers of the Executive Council – 39 (K); “Approve and issue regulations governing the conditions of participation in and the staging of competitions organised by GFA;“
- Article 27 Areas of the authority of congress – Give Article 39 (k) powers to congress.
- Article 37 Composition of the Executive Council – Two (2) RFA Chairmen elected by the ten Regional Chairmen – New amendment all 10 members of the RFA go to sit on the ExCo.
- Article 26 said; For the Women’s Premier League Competition Clubs, eight(8) delegates of
which at least five (5) shall be women; Has now been changed to For the Women’s Premier League Competition Clubs, twenty (20) delegates of which at least five (5) shall be women;
- Still on Article 26 which speaks about the composition of congress. The Original article said; The Congress shall be composed of one hundred and forty-eight(148) delegates. The number of delegates is allocated as follows:
For each of the ten (10) Regional Football Associations, two (2) delegates
Now amended to; for each of the ten (10) Regional Football Associations, three (3) delegates.
- Article 37 Composition of the Executive Council
1. The Executive Council consists of 12 members constituted as follows: But, this has now been amended to; The Executive Council consists of 20 members