Ghana’s Group C opponent for the 2021 AFCON competition – Gabon is making just their 8th appearance at the continental showpiece.
The Panthers from Central Africa, defeated Comoros 1-0 in their opening game at the 2021 AFCON on Monday, and are gunning for victory to put themselves in a position to secure progress to the next round.
Below are 10 interesting FACTS about Gabon.
- Gabon did not qualify or participate in any of the first 10 editions of the AFCON.
- The first time Gabon qualified for the AFCON was in 1994 when Tunisia hosted the tournament.
- The Panthers were eliminated at the group stages when they finished bottom of Group B which featured Nigeria and Egypt after losing all games.
- They reached the quarter-finals in 1996 in South Africa. They lost 4-1 on penalties to Tunisia following a pulsating 1-1 draw within regulation time.
- Gabon’s best performance at the AFCON has been quarter-final (TWICE) 1996 and 2012 – when they co-hosted with Equatorial Guinea.
- Gabon has participated in the AFCON just 8 times out of the available 33.
- Gabon has played 21 matches at the AFCON.
- Gabon has won 6 games, drawn 6, and lost 9.
- Gabon has scored 19 goals and conceded 23.
- Ghana and Gabon have never met at the AFCON before.
Ghana suffered a 1-0 loss to Morocco in the opening game of the tournament in Yaounde but, are fired up to go for victory against Gabon on Friday evening.